How to Find Long Distance Movers
Finding the best long distance movers for your move is about more than finding the right price. You also want to make sure your service will be reliable, trustworthy, and that the movers will treat your belongings with care.
With so many long distance moving companies to choose from, it can sometimes be difficult to know where to start. Here are some of the best places to find long distance movers:
- Google search. A simple online web search will yield the most options for long-distance movers in your area. This method of finding long distance movers will give you the most comprehensive list, although it also means taking more time to filter through results to vet the best options for your move.
- Ask friends or family for referrals. This can be a good way to narrow down your list—fast—to just a few long distance movers to reach out to for information and bids.
- Ask social media network for recommendations. Reaching out to your broader social media network can also be a great way to receive referrals for long distance moving companies. It can be helpful to ask not only which companies your network recommends, but also which companies they don’t
- Read online forums—or pose the question yourself. Online forums are a great way to see community-provided recommendations when you’re searching for long distance movers. Chances are, someone has already asked the question somewhere in your region. If not, use the forum platform to ask the question yourself.
- Look up listings on CAM. The Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) is a trade association that helps Canadian consumers find trustworthy long distance movers in their area. You can find a list of CAM accredited long distance movers here.
Narrowing Down Your List of Potential Long Distance Movers
Once you have a list of recommendations or options for long distance movers, how do you narrow down the list to find the right long distance mover for you? Here are some tips:
Read Online Reviews
When you’re reading reviews for your prospective long distance movers, their website is a good place to start. Many moving customers are busy unpacking and settling in after their move is complete. This means more than most industries, long distance moving customers often forget to take the time to complete a positive online review. They’re more likely to send a positive response via an email or online survey to the company. However, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t also compare online reviews. Look for third-party review sites such as Google, Facebook, or Yelp. Make sure to look consider the source of the reviews you’re reading—if they’re published on a competitor’s site, they may not be accurate or fair.
Look at Their BBB Rating
BBB (Better Business Bureau) is an independent, non-profit organization assigning rankings to businesses based on several indicators of trustworthiness. When you’re looking to find long distance movers, it can be helpful to compare your prospective movers’ BBB rankings online. Using this platform, you can also see some of the common disputes and see how the company responds when there’s an issue. Take into consideration the number of complaints, how many were responded to, and the tone of the response.
How Long Have They Been in Business?
There’s a phrase the service industry uses to describe a business that only lasts long enough to rip a few people off, or that rebrands any time their reputation is tarnished: “fly by night companies.” In the service industry, longevity is an indicator of trust and reliability. After all, it’s difficult for a moving company to stay in business more than a few years if they consistently provide terrible customer service. We caution against using a company that is less than a few years old.
Get to Know Their Resolution Process
What happens if an item is lost, late, or damaged? Long distance moving companies handle tens of thousands of dollars worth of goods every day, which means they should have detailed information about what to do if something doesn’t go as expected. This information can help you get a sense of whether the company handles disputes well. It will also provide you helpful information about what receipts or documents you may need when you choose your long distance moving company.
Request Free Estimates
Once you’ve narrowed your list down based on referrals and reviews, it’s time to receive quotes. We recommend getting at least three quotes to compare. Take the time to read your quote thoroughly and ask about any fine print that doesn’t make sense. Some moving companies have complicated pricing structures that obfuscate potential extra or hidden costs. Also, make sure the company isn’t charging you for insurance. This (as well as a deductible) should not be a cost they pass on to you.
Understand their Timetable Policy
When you’re searching for a long distance moving company, it can be helpful to start looking as early as possible. This helps secure service dates closest to your long distance move so you don’t have to spend an excessive amount of time waiting for your goods to be delivered. You’ll want to ask the long distance moving company how long it will take to deliver your goods, what kind of delivery window they give, and what happens if a shipment is late.
Ask How they Track their Trucks
We know it can be stressful—even scary—to hand your belongings off to a long distance mover to travel cross-country. You should feel confident knowing where your goods are during transit. What sort of communication does the moving company have with their drivers? How often do they touch base with the drivers to make sure everything is on track—and will they automatically contact you if there is a delay? How can you receive information on your shipment? A moving company should have clear answers to these questions to help give you peace of mind during your move.
How Can We Help?
Are you looking for a long distance moving company for your move? We’d love to help! Great Canadian Van Lines has been providing quality long distance moving services across Canada and the Continental United States for over two decades. For more information about our long distance moving services or to speak with a moving expert, please contact us today.